Fire guts Mary Stuart Hall in Makerere University, several students injured

Nelson Bwire Kapo

Mary Stuart Hall, commonly referred to as Box has caught fire leaving several properties destroyed and an unknown number of students injured.

The fire is reported to have started at 4:00am from the ground floor of the over 14 storey building.

“The fire started from the ground floor, those in upper rooms had to just jump off! The rescuers who came first looked for ladders to bring down students who were still stuck on the upper floors. The fire started at 4;00am but police came in 6;00am,” Makerere University LC V councilor Doreen Nyanjura reported.

According to Nyanjura who is at the scene, three canteens housed on the building are completely razed down, as the ground floor where they are located in most affected.

The ground floor also houses an extension of rooms, mostly for Guild Representative Councilors, finalists and Senior Common Room members.

Mary Stuart is the biggest hall in Makerere University and accommodates only females. It was nicknamed Box because of its shape.

 

 

 

 

  • 867
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Comments

comments