Prof. Barnabas Nawangwe has said the fire that burnt the main building will not in any way affect the reopening of Makerere University.
Following a greenlight by President Museveni for final year students to resume studies, Makerere had asked those undertaking medical courses to report on October,3, 2020.
However, following the Sunday morning fire, there were fears that the incident would affect the resumption of studies by the final year students.
The university Vice Chancellor has however allayed the fears saying everything will move as planned.
“Arrangements are under way to receive the final year students as directed by government. Final year medical students will resume studies for the second semester on October,3, 2020 and end on November ,2, 2020,” Nawangwe said.
The Makerere University Vice Chancellor said all arrangements as had earlier planned are under way to receive the students.
“The rest of the final year undergraduate students and the graduate students will report on October,17, 2020 and end on December,12, 2020. It is proposed that students who were ordinarily residing in halls of residence will be admitted in the halls of residence and the non-residents will continue residing off campus. This is because the capacity of the halls of residence cannot accommodate all of them. Announcements will be made to all the students in good time to allow foreign students undergo quarantine if necessary.”
Nawangwe explained that the main building which was gutted by fire housed the offices of the Vice Chancellor, the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Finance and Administration, the University Secretary, university Bursar, Directorate of Human Resources, Directorate of Internal Audit, Public Relations Office and the Council Room.