The Ministry of Education has dismissed as untrue, reports that indicated that schools are set to reopen this month.
Following the closure of educational institutions in March over the Coronavirus several members of the public have been in anticipation over their reopening.
Last week, there were reports that schools, especially candidate classes are set to reopen for the second term that will end in mid-December for the third term to begin in January of February, whereas UNEB exams are to be written in March or April.
However, the Ministry of Education has dismissed the reports as being untrue and asked parents to disregard the same.
“A number of media houses and social media platforms have been putting out unauthentic information on the anticipated opening of schools causing anxiety for all stakeholders. The most recent one is where a school calendar for opening institutions was circulated on social media. This is to inform the public to disregard this information,” Patrick Muinda said in a statement issued on behalf of the ministry’s Permanent Secretary.
“We further advise all parents and learners to ignore all information published in the media (print or electronic) that is not issued by an authorized signatory. The Ministry informs the public that at an appropriate time, information will be issued by either the Minister of Education and Sports or the Permanent Secretary or any authorized person.”
The national Covid-19 taskforce recently advised President Museveni to allow schools reopen for candidate classes and final year students in tertiary institutions.
In a September 2, 2020 letter to the Minister for Finance, Matia Kasaija, the Education Minister who also doubles as the First Lady, Janet Museveni asked that capitation grants be released to the government schools to enable them prepare for the third term.
“I refer to the meeting held on September 1, 2020 by the President and the national Covid-19 taskforce at State House Entebbe. The meeting resolved that a phased reopening of schools starting with candidate classes be implemented starting with September 20, 2020,” Mrs. Museveni said in the letter.
The Education Minister said that because the capital grant for the third term of the year 2020 was not released by government to schools in July because they were closed, the money should be sent now.
“On account of the position taken in the above-stated meeting, this is therefore to request you to cause the release of the funds to the beneficiary schools to prepare for the phased reopening of schools.”