I will fight for the release of jailed NUP supporters- Minister Balaam

Features -->
I will fight for the release of jailed NUP supporters- Minister Balaam
Balaam Barugahara.

Balaam Barugahara, the newly appointed Minister of State for Youth & Children, Balaam Barugahara has expressed his intention to request President Museveni for the release of detained opposition supporters, particularly those affiliated with the National Unity Platform (NUP).

"I will approach the President with a plea to release all young individuals, especially those who support the opposition, particularly NUP supporters currently held in detention," he stated.

He emphasized that his purpose in the Cabinet isn't to enlist youths into the MK Project but rather to tackle the issue of youth unemployment in Uganda.

Speaking to journalists at Parliament following his vetting by the Appointments Committee, Barugahara stated that instead of the conventional approach of training all youths in generic skills like chapatti making and bricklaying, he intends to tailor skill development according to the specialities of different regions. He emphasized the importance of offering youths opportunities to select their preferred areas of training.

"I'm not in Cabinet to recruit youths for the MK Project. The MK Project already encompasses over 21 million young people, and it is not a political entity," he clarified.

Barugahara elaborated that the Patriotic League of Uganda (PLU), or MK, is a civic organization aimed at promoting patriotism and love for the country. He urged individuals to join this civic initiative, highlighting his appointment as an opportunity to address the challenges faced by young people.

He noted that the youth in Uganda face several challenges, with 75% of the population being young. However, a staggering 83% of these youths are unskilled, uneducated, and unemployed, leaving only 17% with any form of skill.

"My role will primarily focus on advocating for skills development. However, it's crucial to recognize that not every youth needs to be skilled in generic trades like bricklaying or chapatti making. Each sub-region has its unique strengths; for instance, Karamoja has minerals, so youths there should be trained in mining. Similarly, Bunyoro, with its oil resources, should focus on oil and gas-related skills, while the youths in Buganda can excel in coffee farming," he explained.

Reader's Comments

RELATED ARTICLES

LATEST STORIES

Filmmakers urged to seek mentorship
entertainment By Kenneth Kazibwe
27 minutes ago
Filmmakers urged to seek mentorship
Mubaje calls on Muslims to reject terrorism
top-stories By Muhamadi Matovu
1 hour ago
Mubaje calls on Muslims to reject terrorism
Kenya's Kimani beats Uganda to Shs230m Africa innovation prize
top-stories By Jacobs Seaman Odongo
1 hour ago
Kenya's Kimani beats Uganda to Shs230m Africa innovation prize
IGAD calls for ceasefire in Sudan
sudan By Julius Kitone
4 hours ago
IGAD calls for ceasefire in Sudan