Remaining suspect in Maj Kiggundu murder case released

News -->

The police Flying Squad is back to step one in the Major Muhammad Kiggundu murder investigations after releasing the only suspect they had in custody.

The suspect, Ismail Mukasa, was in custody for more than two months at Nalufenya detention facility in Jinja. He was arrested from Kawempe after being implicated by his wife to have been behind the brutal murder of Kiggundu in Masanafu, Kampala, a year ago.

However,  following scrutiny of the information that had been given to the Flying Squad operatives, it was established that the suspect had no role in the gunning down of the Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF)  soldier.

Police had immediately after the murder gone on rampage arresting more than 12 people for the Masanafu shooting that left Major Kiggundu and his driver Sgt Steven Mukasa dead.

Most of the suspects were released while four of them were charged for different crimes other than the Kiggundu murder.

The police spokesperson Asan Kasingye declined to comment on the matter saying it is still a subject of investigations.

"Investigations are still ongoing. We shall update you at an appropriate time," Kasingye said.

This adds on to the Joan Kagezi murder investigation whose case file is still empty, more than two years after the crime was committed in March 2015.

Major Kiggundu, a former commander of the Allied Democratic Front (ADF) rebels and his body guard  were killed at Masanafu, a Kampala suburb, on November 26, 2016. The two were driving to the city in a UPDF pick-up truck when they were attacked by armed men travelling on motorcycles.

At the time police blamed the shooting on the ADF rebels.

In March this year, police spokesperson Andrew Felix Kaweesi, who had vowed to hunt for Kiggundu's killers and bring them to book, was himself attacked and killed in a similar way Kiggundu was attacked. His driver Godfrey Mambewa and body guard Kenneth Erau were also killed in the attack.



Reader's Comments