Ugandans Bypassing Courts for Justice: Law Society Demands Answers

News -->
Ugandans Bypassing Courts for Justice: Law Society Demands Answers
Caption not available

The Uganda Law Society (ULS) is raising alarm about the declining use of courts by citizens seeking justice. ULS President Bernard Oundo points to a worrying trend: people are resorting to informal methods like mob justice to settle disputes, while official court cases remain low.

"There's a stark contrast," Oundo highlights. "The annual crime report shows a surge in mob justice, yet only 10% of Ugandans use the courts according to the Justice Needs report. Where are the other 90% going for justice? We need answers."

While acknowledging the Judiciary's efforts like hosting National Court Open Day, Oundo emphasizes the need to address critical issues. "Transparency and accountability are crucial for building public trust," he says. "Only by confronting these challenges can we create lasting solutions that make the Judiciary more responsive to the needs of the people."

The ULS has a history of advocating for reforms in the justice system, focusing on areas like case backlog, judicial accountability, and judicial independence. These concerns likely play a role in the current low-court usage.

In essence, the ULS is calling on the Ugandan Judiciary to investigate the root causes behind this trend and implement reforms to regain public confidence. A more accessible and trustworthy court system is essential for ensuring all Ugandans have a path to justice.

Reader's Comments