What is cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity refers to the protection/defense of the computer networks, systems, servers, and other digital devices that collectively makeup cyberspace.
Some of the best practices for better Cybersecurity for individuals or institutions;
• Keep devices and systems patched. Always have the latest available software updates installed. This will do away with vulnerabilities resulting from running out-of-date systems.
• There are concerns of supply chain attacks (e.g SolarWinds) but these are not in everyone’s threat model.
• Organizations should also endeavor to have complete knowledge and monitoring coverage of their technology assets.
• Multi-Factor Authentication should be enabled and enforced wherever possible.
• Password managers should be used. These help with generating strong passwords/phrases that one doesn’t have to memorize and help do away with password reuse.
• Being mindful of one’s social media postings is another good cybersecurity practice. Some postings include information that may be leveraged to compromise one’s digital security in one way or another.
• Think before you click is another way of staying safe in cyberspace.
• Maintaining a healthy degree of suspicion and taking a moment to think through before clicking on an email/link helps one reduce or even completely avoid malware infections.
Watch Danze Edwin and Peter Mayanja explain Cyber Security trends in an interview on NBS Television