A joint operation by the Special Forces Command and Police has led to the arrest of three people suspected to be behind the wave of dropping threatening leaflets in Entebbe areas.
According to Police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, the arrest followed anonymous leaflet thrown in Katabi town council threatening to attack several homes including that of the mayor, Ronald Kalema by unknown assailants.
In the leaflets, the assailants demanded shs2 million from the mayor or else he would be attacked but they also warned him that he is being watched wherever he goes.
“Our territorial police in Entebbe, SFC and our joint intelligence component managed to arrest three suspects including Asadu Kirigwajjo, a former private bodyguard to the Katabi Mayor, William Lubega, a mechanic and Ronald Baluku,”Enanga said in a statement on Wednesday.
The police spokesperson said the breakthrough followed an attack late last month st the home of one Andrew Mulindwa in which the assailants stole one of the vehicle’s number plates and demanded money from the owner.
Enanga said the joint security team from SFC and Police followed leads until they arrested the group.
“They have been using the anonymous letters as a cover up for their criminality of car number plate thefts .Because of the wave of panga wielding assailants in Masaka, they adopted the method of throwing anonymous letters to threaten residents,” he said.
The anonymous letters were directing threats to injure the Katabi mayor and other people. They have caused fear and anxiety among residents and three suspects were involved in throwing these letters.”
Police says that a search at the suspects’ home has indicated led to recovery of more threatening leaflets as well as house breaking implements that were being kept at the home of Lubega as well as car number plates.
The development comes at a time when cases of threatening leaflets being thrown have increased in various parts of the country.
The infamous leaflets that unknown assailants have thrown in different parts of the country threatening to attack residents have caused fear and panic among members of the public.
However, according to the Police spokesperson, investigations are continuing to identify the people behind the leaflets.
“Our task teams are working tirelessly to identify all those perpetuators causing panic by sending threatening letters to the public,”Enanga said.
“We are continuing to pursue other suspects who are still at large.”
The development comes on the backdrop of similar letters in the areas of greater Masaka region where over 28 people have been killed by machete wielding assailants who attack homes at night.