Cabinet has approved the entire demolition, and rebuilding of Makerere University main administration building to match its previous form.
This was revealed by the Minister of ICT and National Guidance, Dr Chris Baryomunsi on Tuesday while speaking to the media in Kampala.
Part of the building known as the “Ivory Tower,” was engulfed by fire in the wee hours of September 20, 2020.
A cabinet meeting this week approved that the entire building be demolished and rebuilt to match its previous form and appearance as a way of conserving the architectural character of the building.
The cabinet resolved that the Main Hall which was not affected by the fire should remain as it is however, there is a need to have it refurbished and equipped with modern technologies.
Before demolition of the remaining parts of the building, a detailed photographic and conservatory study and documentation will be conducted and all key elements should be salvaged and stored in the museum to be called the main building museum 2020.
“A disaster and risk management policy for the university should be developed and approved by the University Council. Electrical installation in all old buildings of Makerere University should be replaced, ”the cabinet noted.
According to the cabinet, the annual maintenance budget of the estates and works department at Makerere University should be increased to enable the department carryout preventive maintenance in the university.
Two electricians with at least an ordinary Diploma in electrical engineering and installation permits should be recruited and a registered electrical engineer should be recruited for the Estates and Works Department at management level.
The cabinet also noted that the university should ensure that CCTV cameras in the buildings are fully functional and monitored from the central surveillance room at all times.
“The fire brigade should beef up its capacity to effectively and efficiently respond to fires and a firefighting truck should be permanently stationed at Makerere University. Enhance the capacity of the National Building Review Board to monitor buildings across the country for timely detection of deterioration and related accidents,” the statement stated.
The construction of the main building was completed in 1941 under the leadership of Mr. George C. Turner, Principal, and Makerere College (1939-46).Earlier in 1938, the Duke of Gloucester, representing His Majesty King George VI had cut the first sod for the construction of the building on 3rd November.
The main building with its unique 20th century British architecture is easily Makerere’s most recognisable symbol and was constructed with funds from the Colonial Development bourse.