Government spokesperson Ofwono Opondo has castigated officials in the establishment, who ‘slept’ on the job, causing another COVID-19 situation in the country.
Opondo made the statements on NBS TV’s Frontline show on Thursday night following a long absence.
The Uganda Media Centre boss first dismissed reports that he had been sick of COVID-19 causing his absence.
He said he had taken a break out of town and not sick with COVID-19 as reported.
Opondo who did not mince words on the show went for the government, citing that certain people are responsible for the current situation.
“Those responsible should have been alert. The lockdown was never lifted and they went to sleep. They let us down. We should not take any explanation that we were caught unaware,” he said.
“Somebody went to sleep and didn’t follow up on the oxygen and the things we were supposed to have in place. We are now reaping from this. We should have improved the list of the vulnerable group from the previous food distribution. someone went to sleep,” he added.
The opposition for Democratic Party President General Norbert Mao also castigated officials responsible for the welfare of the vulnerable in the previous lockdown.
“We are very angry that the food was stolen, that is why we are going to cash. Those who are responsible for the mass murders should be held accountable. It is disgusting what we witnessed, “he said.
“What we are discussing now is poor leadership. The teams are in disarray. It is a failure of leadership. At least, let us give mabugo to the health workers by paying their allowance arrears, “he added.
In April 2020, the government pledged to distribute food to vulnerable poor in Kampala, Wakiso, and surrounding areas, but the food did not reach its recipients.
Later, the government released money to distribute free masks to every Ugandan, but this too did not trickle down to the people.