Government has announced that the 70 people limit that was placed on places of worship will only be reviewed if religious leaders demonstrate a high level of compliance while handling their congregation.
President Yoweri Museveni last week lifted the ban on churches and all places of worship after almost 6 months in a Coronavirus-induced lockdown.
The president however noted that church services and all religious activities in places of worship will only be allowed to happen if the fellowship doesn’t exceed 70 people.
Several religious leaders have since come out to protest against the directive, with majority saying that 70 people are very few.
Speaking to the press on Monday, the Minister for Information and Communications Technology Judith Nabakooba said there is only one way that the number can be reviewed: compliance.
“I know some are saying that this number is so little but I believe it can be reviewed with time if we all demonstrate compliance,” she said,
Nabakooba said that majority of the religious leaders have adhered to the directive and that is a good sign.
Apostle Joseph Sserwadda of the Victory Christian Life Centre in Ndeeba for example said that 70 people are not even enough for his choir.
Sserwadda has since instructed his followers to pray against the ‘demon’ of COVID-19 to leave this country.
Like him, several other religious readers have called out government to review this directive.