Kyambogo University has announced that no final year student will be allowed access the exam halls unless they have paid all the fees balances required.
President Yoweri Museveni allowed schools and tertiary institutions across the country to open for final year students at all levels of education, starting October 15th, 2020 after almost six months since they were closed.
The university’s Vice Chancellor Prof. Elly Katunguka, in a press conference held on Monday announced that Kyambogo will open on Saturday, October 17, 2020 and lectures will commence on Monday, October 19, 2020.
He noted that all final year students will then start their exams a month later, on November 16 but no student will be allowed to sit for the papers without paying tuition balance.
“I advise all final year students who had not enrolled and registered to do so immediately the University re-opens because no student will be allowed into the examination room unless he/she is fully paid up,” Katunguka said.
The Vice Chancellor added that, “Government sponsored students had received their food and living out allowances for semester two and there won’t be any other allowances from government.”
Katunguka said that about 75% of teaching, which includes lecturing, giving assignments and coursework, had been completed before the temporary closure of education institutions on Friday, 20th March 2020. The remaining 25% will be completed within a period of four weeks.
On halls of residence
Katunguka announced that all halls of residence will be fumigated and halls will only be filled to half capacity.
“All students’ property will be disinfected before accessing halls of residence and at all halls of residence there will be hand washing facilities,” he added.
Katunguka said that the university management negotiated with hostel owners and agreed that the hostel fees which the students had paid for Semester II 2019/ 2020 will be carried forward to cater for this period to enable the students complete their studies.
He added that they agreed on SOPs that will be followed to keep the students safe from COVID-19.
On campus sports activities resumption
According to the new guidelines from the Ministry of Education, schools will not be allowed to resume co-curricular activities and Katunguka said that although no competitive sports will be allowed to resume, personal training sessions will be allowed with caution.
He said: “There won’t be team sports during this session but individual physical exercises for fitness purposes will be allowed but recognising recommended social distancing practices.”
On COVID-19 precautions
Katunguka said that the university medical centre has put in place protocols for referral of suspected COVID-19 cases assisted by 24 hour ambulances services.
“Emergency numbers will be displayed on all notice boards for quick action,” he said.