A second student from Makerere University has drowned at the Institution’s swimming pool following an incident mid last year where another student plunged into the pool and died during a morning jog, also known as the naked mile.
On Sunday evening, James Uwimpuhwe, a second-year Arts student and chairman of the Makerere University Banyarwanda Students Union (MUBSU) drowned at the same swimming pool.
The University Vice-Chancellor Barnabas Nawangwe, says that Uwimpuhwe died while attempting underwater swimming.
“I have received with much shock news of the death of James Uwimpuhwe, a second-year Arts student who has drowned in the University swimming pool this evening. A brief to me from the Swimming Pool management indicates that James got stuck while attempting under-water Swimming.”
“Lifesavers on duty rushed to his rescue, offered Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and other first-aid but he died on the way to the hospital. I send my condolences to his family and the entire student community. May His Soul Rest In Peace.”
Last year, a first-year student, John Paul Mirimu who was attached to Nsibirwa hall drowned when he and his colleagues plunged into the pool at 5:00 am during an early morning jog.
The group was doing the activity to find a fruitful climax of the cultural festivities of Nsibirwa hall.
In 2010, Martin Kalema, a student of Engineering, was found dead at the university swimming pool. According to the pool supervisor Johnson Mujjabi, Kalema drowned during a cultural night. Mujjabi said he had been battling with students who wanted to access the pool stealthily since 1:00am, but they kept sneaking into the pool
Following the swimming pool incidents, Makerere University resorted to banning the specific activity dubbed Naked Mile, in which students would end up in the pool.
A notice from the Dean of Students, Cyriaco Kabagambe, instructed the university security to arrest all those students that indulge in the act.
“The chief security officer and officer-in-charge at Makerere University are requested to look out for those who will repeat the bad habit with the view to prosecuting them,” cautioned the letter.
The letter cited two male halls: Lumumba and Mitchell, as the most indulgent in this habit, with students largely under the influence of alcohol. “This is very unfortunate and unacceptable in a premier institution like Makerere University. It is also potentially dangerous to human life,” said the notice.