President Museveni has ordered the immediate sacking of all Police officers manning the temporary command centre in Nateete following the murder of Maria Nagirinya who was working with CIDI.
Following Nagirinya’s kidnap from Busega, family members said they contacted police to help them track the kidnappers using the CCTV cameras installed in most parts of the greater Kampala Metropolitan area but they were tossed around.
Later, Nagirinya’s body and that of her driver, Ronald Kitayimbwa were found dumped in Mukono.
In a message posted on his social media accounts, Museveni has said he has been briefed about the incident and has found out there was negligence by police officers manning the CCTV command centre in Nateete.
“Take the case of Nagirinya. When she was kidnapped, the relatives, immediately, informed the Police of Kibumbiro Police post at Nateete, by about 00:43 hours. The officer there should have informed all the Police units and patrol cars and the camera centres about the type of car that had been hi-jacked. The cameras then would track that vehicle and those criminals would have been arrested or killed before they abandoned the car at Nateete, after dumping the bodies of the victims in Mukono,”Museveni said.
He said the police officer at Kibumbiro police post in Busega told him(Museveni) that she tried to contact the 999 police patrol truck but the commander was not picking not until seven minutes later at 50 minutes past midnight.
“What is this- criminal negligence or collusion? Whatever it was, we are slowly moving forward. On account of the cameras and other technical means, we are now able to know who did not do his work. The Policemen in the camera centres were asleep, only waking up to “retrieve” pictures from the memory of the cameras.”
The furious Museveni said he cannot tolerate what he termed as rubbish from the police officers manning the CCTV command centre noting that they don’t deserve a place anywhere the facility.
He said one of their roles is to watch live feed from the CCTV cameras and relay the information to 999 patrol vehicles to act immediately.
“You are not only supposed to retrieve pictures that happened some hours ago. You are supposed to watch live and tell the patrol vehicles to act promptly,”Museveni said.
He added,” all these have been arrested. I have directed that all involved must be tried, sentenced, punished and dismissed from the Police. Moreover, they should never work in any government department ever, again.”
The development comes barely 48 hours after a joint operation by the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence (CMI) and Police arrested the prime suspects in the kidnap and subsequent murder of Nagirinya.
On Sunday night, security operatives raided Mabiito club in Nateete before arresting three prime suspects in the kidnap and subsequent murder and among them was the man caught on CCTV camera driving Nagirinya’s vehicle, a Toyota Spacio.
On Monday, the suspects were taken to various places around the city where they either used to stay or planed their mission.
On further interrogation, they said each was paid shs130,000 to carry out the mission that with the killing of Nagirinya.
Police spokesperson, Fred Enanga said they would now take the suspects’ fingerprints to match them with those found on Nagirinya’s vehicle.
The arrest puts the number of the suspects in the kidnap and subsequent murder to six, including boda Boda riders.