Uganda has for the past days been thrown in panic following a pronouncement of the UN Secretary general António Guterres that he was relocating the UN regional service centre from Entebbe to Nairobi
The move would see over 400 Ugandans lose jobs in addition to losing revenue since the regional base is contributing significantly to the economy of Entebbe municipality and Entebbe as a whole.
Guterres had reportedly planned to move the UN base early this month but received opposition from the Ugandan government. On Wednesday, parliament in solidarity joined the executive in opposition the relocation urging the Kenyan government not to betray a good neighbour.
However, in a letter to President Yoweri Museveni, the UN Secretary-General, António Guterres, has said Uganda will continue to host the UN regional base.
Minister of foreign affairs, Sam Kutesa confirmed the development to Nile Post.
“The Secretary General has replied saying the base will stay, some of the services will go away but our employees will stay and other services will be added.”
President Museveni had earlier protested the move to relocate the centre in a letter. He said that it was “unfair” for the UN to overlook Uganda’s contributions to the region in favor of Nairobi despite the two country’s having “friendly” terms.