Government through the Attorney General has denied having re-arrested four people accused of masterminding the murder of AIGP Andrew Felix Kaweesi who were released recently.
Ugly scenes were witnessed at Spear Motors junction early this month when security operatives in plain clothes forcefully re-arrested Ahmed Ssenfuka, minutes after being released on bail by Nakawa grade one Magistrate Noah Sajjabi.
It would later turn out that three other co-accused including Ibrahim Kisa,Abdul Majid Ojegere and Umaru Maganda had also been re-arrested.
The relatives of the suspects through their lawyers led by Anthony Wameli and Godfrey Turyamusiima filed a habeas corpus through the Civil Division of the High Court asking government to produce their clients.
A habeas corpus is an application forcing government or any other person to produce a suspect, dead or alive. In their arguments before justice Steven Musota on Tuesday, the lawyers said that their clients have been held incommunicado for the last two weeks and efforts to get to know their whereabouts have proved futile.
“This is a violation of their right to liberty and access to their clients and relatives,” Anthony Wameli told court.
Wameli argued that since the re-arrest, the four people have never been produced in any courts of law to be charged formally asking court to order government through its agents to produce them.
However, in response, Allan Mukama, the State Attorney who represented the Attorney General told court that government does not know the whereabouts of the four people who the lawyers claim were re-arrested.
“They are not in custody of the Attorney General and is not in the know that him (Attorney General) or his agents arrested and detained them,” Mukama told court.
The Attorney General is the chief lawyer for government and all its bodies. He however said that as mandated by law, he would be willing to render support to court so ascertain the whereabouts of the four people.
“We should be given ample time to investigate the circumstances and give a report to court.”
Justice Musota however advised the lawyers to file separate applications for each of the four people other than doing it jointly. The case has been adjourned to tomorrow(Wednesday).
In the wake of the re-arrest, army spokesperson Brig.Richard Karemire owned up to the re-arrest stressing it was a joint operation between various security agencies. “It was a joint operation by security agencies and we arrested him (Ahmed Ssenfuka) over cases that are being investigated,” Brig.Karemire told this website in a phone interview hours after the re-arrest.
Meanwhile, the then police spokesperson AIGP Asan Kasingye who had earlier denied knowledge of the re-arrests told journalists in a weekly security press briefing that the four suspects had been detained at Nalufenya police station.
“After re-arresting them, CMI handed them to police .They are being detained at Nalufenya and investigated over involvement with Allied Democratic Forces rebels,”Kasingye told journalists.