The ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) shall embark on the country-wide age limit consultations tomorrow, November 6.
According to a statement issued by Rogers Mulindwa, the spokesperson of the NRM secretariat, a team of senior party officials has been summoned up to traverse the country and lobby the population to accept the lifting of the presidential age-limit cap.
“The National Party Chairperson Gen. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has already deployed his senior cadres to take lead in the exercise that will last not more than seven working days. The deployment based on sub regions will see the party’s first National Vice Chairperson Al-Hajji Moses Kigongo taking charge of the Greater Masaka Sub Region,” the statement read in part.
Currently one cannot stand for president if they 75 years and above and President Museveni who made 73 years this year will not be eligible to stand for president in 2021 going by the present Constitution.
But a bill drafted by Raphael Magyezi, the Igara West MP and which has received the support of the cabinet and NRM organs, has seeks to change that. The bill is before the parliamentary Legal Affairs committee.
The opposition embarked on similar campaigns but some of their rallies were violently broken down by the police.
Below is the full deployment list
1. Greater Masaka: Al-Hajji Moses Kigongo.
2. Acholi: Hon. Richard Todwong.
3. Kampala: Hon. Rose Namayanja, Mr. Godfrey Nyakana & Dr. Hassan Galiwango.
4. Greater Luwero & Mukono: Hajji Abdul Nadduli.
5. Greater Mubende: Hon Ruth Nankabirwa.
6. Greater Mpigi: Hon Mathias Kasamba.
7. West Nile: Hon Hudu Oleru & Hajji Nasur Gaddafi.
8. Lango: Hon Sam Engola & Hon Lydia Wanyoto.
9. Karamoja: Hon Simon Peter Aleper & Mr. Gabriel Kato.
10. Busoga: Hon. Ali Kirunda Kivejinja & Hon Milton Muwuma.
11. Bukedi: Hon. Mike Mukula.
12. Sebei & Elgon: Hon Dominic Gidudu.
13. Teso: Dr. Kenneth Omona.
14. Bunyoro: Hon Kahinda Otafire & Mr. Oscar Kihika.
15. Rwenzori: Hon Matayo Kyaligonza & Dr. Robert Rukaari.
16. Ankoke: Hon Maj. Gen. Jim Muhwezi & Mr. James Twegeyo.
17. Kigezi: Rt. Hon Ruhankana Rugunda.