Another fire 14 years later: One arrested, no one injured in Naalya SS dormitory fire

Nelson Bwire Kapo

The management of Naalya Secondary School- Namugongo campus have confirmed that one person was arrested while all students are fine following Thursday evening’s fire that left the boy’s dormitory destroyed.

According to the school head teacher, Angel Tashobya, the fire that started at around 7:15pm on Thursday found all students already attending their evening preps.

However, some students fainted out of shock and were taken to hospital for medical attention.

“Between 7 to 7:15 one of the boy’s dormitory got burn but students had reported for prep and no student was injured. All students are in good condition. We have not yet ascertained the cause of the fire but the situation is calm,” she said.

“Students say they saw someone taking photos, we have arrested him and waiting for police to handle,” she added.

Tashobya said they will not release students, mostly the candidate classes, but they will improvise to see that they keep running. She thanked neighbouring schools; Bethany, Hillside and St Peter’s Naalya that have provided mattresses and other material items.

Hassan Kihanda, the Deputy Director Police Fire and Rescue said said his team responded quickly to prevent massive destruction of the block.

“We indeed responded as fast as we could, we found the fire in the boys wing and it was on second level that houses students of Senior three.”

Police speaks

“The fire that broke out at Naalya SS Namugongo campus on the second floor in the boys’ dormitory has been extinguished. The situation at the school is now normal and calm. No student was injured. No death registered,” said deputy police spokesperson Patrick Onyango.

“Parents are advised to check on their children tomorrow (Friday). Police will not allow anybody to enter the school premises today (Thursday) because we do not know who is who at this time. Some wrong elements may take the advantage and enter the school premises,” he added.

Another fire 14 years later

Today, Francis Obukwi would have been 30 years and probably employed, but he was burnt in a fire at the same school 14 years ago, in July 2004.

The fire also started around the same time while students were in their evening prep, unfortunately for Obukwi, he lay sick in his bed and when it started, he could not go past the burglar proofed windows.

The bellowing fire razed the three-room L-shaped dormitory which housed students from Senior One to Senior Six, leaving colossal losses estimated in millions of shillings.

Efforts by the boys to quell the raging fire that started at 8:00pm, using portable fire extinguishers, were futile.  The Police recovered a jerrycan of petrol only a few metres from the dormitory.

Following the death of Obukwi, three students were arrested and charged with murder.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • 243
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Comments

comments