The Electoral Commission this morning met to discuss yesterday’s violent scenes in Arua Municipality that left at least one person dead and scores injured.
The violence erupted in the evening when supporters of one of the candidates Kassiano Wadri clashed with the security personnel that guard President Museveni.
One of the cars in Museveni’s car, according to State House officials, had its hind screen shattered by a stone.
Yasin Kawuma, Bobi Wine’s driver was reportedly hit by a stray bullet.
Sources told us that the EC meeting was called to find a way forward.
In the meeting, sources said, some people suggested that the polls be postponed to avert any more violence but this appears not to have been adopted.
There was also a possibility that Wadri could be disqualified.
However by press time it appeared like EC had agreed to go on with the election.
Earlier Jotham Taremwa, the EC spokesperson told Radio One that EC would take some form of action.
“We condemn the hooliganism that has been manifesting in the campaigns of late. We condemn all the violence. The campaigns had gone on well until there was attack on the convoy of the president and violence ensued an one person is reported to have died so we are going to meet and see,” he said.
Meanwhile, the two NTV journalists who were arrested yesterday in Arua were this afternoon released on police bond at Gulu Police Station. The duo had been driven to Gulu town, 250 Km away, in the thick of the night.
According to a statement issued by NTV, Herbert Zziwa and Ronald Muwanga were charged with inciting violence and malicious damage of property. They are expected to report at the police station on Friday August 17.