Two police officers were on Friday arrested on orders of the Inspector General of Police, Gen.Kale Kayihura in relation to the machete wielding attacks in greater Masaka region.
On the New Year’s Day, machete wielding thugs attacked villages including Kisojjo, Kyabagoma and Kyamabaale in Kibinge Sub County in Bukomansimbi district and Kiryasaaka found in Kkingo Sub County in Lwengo district at night killing five people including a retired senior police officer and injuring twelve others.
The Inspector General of Police, Gen.Kale Kayihura has since pitched camp in the area overseeing operations for over a week.
The Nile Post has however learnt that two police officers whose names could not be readily available were arrested on the order of the police chief.
According to a source that preferred anonymity, the OC CID and OC station at Mateete police station in Lwengo district were arrested on allegation that they released under unclear circumstances, a suspect in the New Year ’s Day attack.
Police spokesperson Emilian Kayima confirmed the two had been arrested but could not divulge more information about the matter.
“It is true they were arrested but the reasons will be explained later. We don’t want to make it alarming,”Kayima said.
He however added; “On many occasions our officers are arrested in case of negligence and investigated but if they right time comes, we shall give you the right information.”
The police mouthpiece however noted that the situation is now under control after Gen.Kayihura ordered for an increased visibility of police through deployment of officers on patrols on foot, motorcycles and on patrol vehicles in the area.
Speaking to locals on Tuesday, the police boss assured them that security is doing everything within their means to apprehend the suspects in the new year’s day attack.
This website has learnt that a number of suspects have since arrested and are being interrogated over the attacks.
Last year, similar attacks characterised greater Masaka region districts of Kalungu,Masaka,Lwengo and Rakai and over 20 people were killed by assailants who first threw leaflets warning of their impending attacks before invading villages, stab and cut locals.
On his visit to the area on Wednesday, President Museveni blamed the attacks in Bukomansimbi and Lwengo districts on poor neighbourhood watch and thin police on ground.
Museveni said that when the thugs raided the area, some survivors sought for help but could not get it since majority of the people were busy in bars drinking alcohol to celebrate the New Year.
He also grilled Latif Zaake, the Greater Masaka Region Police Commander, for failing to resolve these killings saying he seems detached from the residents.
According to the president, the judiciary is also to blame for releasing some of the suspects arrested previously for similar killings.